IN THE WORKS
Two New Publications in the Works
A new edition of Museum Mission Statements: Building a Distinct Identity, will be published in 2018 by Rowman & Littlefield for AAM. The book will provide a fresh new look at mission statements and their impact on institution health and relevancy. Featured in the book will be contemporary mission statements from US and international museums representing diversity of institutions large and small, urban, suburban, and rural, and a range of museum types (science to community-specific to art to issue-based museums and more).
The development of the third edition of Reinventing the Museum: The Evolving Conversation on the Paradigm Shift will begin in 2018. This edition will capture some of the most compelling new thinking since the 2012 second edition. This will also be published by Rowman & Littlefield for AAM.
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Museum Workers Speak Bay Area Workshop, San Francisco, CA
- Panelist: Advocate for Yourself! From Interview, Evaluation, to the Exit Interview, speakers will pose and answer questions connected to different levels of the museum career. January 26, 2017.
California Association of Museums Conference 2016, Riverside, CA
- Panelist: Just Say No!, a session to help museum professionals understand the power of saying no and why, sometimes, saying no is critical to success. March 3, 2016.
American Association of Museums Conference 2016, Washington, D.C.
- Moderator: Stepping Up: The Challenges of Becoming a Museum Director, a discussion with six new museum directors from diverse institutions on their experiences transitioning into a leadership role. May 27, 2016.
- Moderator: Workplace Culture Matters, an exploration of the important relationship between a museum’s internal values and its external offerings and the ways that meaningful investments in a values-based culture lead to tangible results.
Western Museums Association Conference 2014, Las Vegas, NV
- Co-Facilitator with Steve Olsen: Museum Leadership for the 21st Century, a double session on effective leadership, sharing examples and strategies from a variety of institutional, personal, and cultural perspectives.
- Presenter: Bienvenidos! Engaging Latino Audiences and Building Cross-Cultural Bridges, a discussion on institutional readiness for expanding audiences.
- Presenter: A Crash Course in Human Resources for Emerging Professionals, a conversation about the importance of an individual career path in the museum context and the value of understanding museum culture.
21st Century Museum Issues Lecture Series: Reinventing the Museum
January 22, 2013 in Eugene, OR
In conjunction with the release of the new edition of her book Reinventing the Museum: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on the Paradigm Shift, Gail Anderson presented a lecture for the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art’s Museum Studies program.